Saturday, July 22, 2006

CSI

So I've been watching CSI whenever it turns up during my channel surf. Of course it's interesting, but sometimes very annoying.
What's annoying? When they insert little bits of backstory or character development - who's dating who, who collects stamps, and other totally irrelevant trivia to try to humanize the CSI characters.
Why is it annoying? Because I don't care about them at all, except as empty vessels that propel me through the story.
And why is that? Assuming I'm not a sociopath, it's because most of them come across as extremely arrogant and smug. They're just not likeable human beings. So we don't care for them. So, writers, please don't waste your time and especially ours by telling us how this one collects catalogs, that one just broke up with someone, and so on. We don't care about these "people." The characters on "King of the Hill" are more human and likeable.

No comments: